Thursday, March 17, 2016

When the thermometer doesn't move....

Missing thermometer progress for 3/16 is not a cause for alarm.  Some days, things are just steady, or status quo, or the progress is very much in the behind the scenes work.  There was no measurable progress to share yesterday, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t work done or progress made.  I worked on selecting and compiling evidence for that last evidence section all day.  I worked hard for hours both at school (when I was able—it was pretty busy in the lab) and at home on this.  Most of the time was spent reviewing video footage.   

In this section, I have to include 3 videos of 5 min each (unedited, with annotations).  They’re supposed to be from the same class (French I) even if not the same day.  I have already selected one and it’s annotated and turned in.  It fits well where I put it.  The present need is to choose the remaining two videos and include them in appropriate locations to demonstrate the standard in question.  I actually don’t have many 5 min. (or longer) videos from which to choose in any of my classes, and  I have decided to use a video from French III for one of the two.  I took good notes on this one so that I can annotate it easily today and then turn it in.  So that one is selected.  But it could go in either of two places and I'm going to base that choice on what I come up with for my last one.  

I must use a French I video for my 3rd choice (no question about it given that I've already pushed it using one from French III).  That’s a stretch.  I only have two videos to work with for French I.  All the other videos are under 2 minutes.  Maybe I'll use one of them as well, but I'm not even going to consider that right now.  Here's what I have to work with: one 10 min video and one 50 min video.  The French I clip I already have chosen to use is from the 50 min video.  Unfortunately, these are not the best source of evidence for the portfolio.  They are videos I took in order to help me grade student presentations, so their purpose was not to film me instructing, and I'm really not using a lot of instructional strategies in them comparatively speaking.  They're mostly of my students presenting.  And those strategies I do use are scattered throughout (except for the segment I've already used - that one was 5 minutes of some pretty good interaction between the students and I).  

What this means is that I’m fishing a bit for my evidence.  I’m watching clips and taking notes on what I could point to if I chose this or that segment, what strategies I use, and what evidence I can find for the various standards I’m supposed to illustrate.  While I still as of bedtime last night wasn’t 100% sure, it was starting to come together and I had narrowed down my choices.  Progress was made, but nothing I could point to definitively for the thermometer.  And that’s ok. Thursday (today) is a brand new day for thinking this through and determining my final selection.  I plan to complete my evidence section tonight.  Perhaps I'll have time to work on other things as well, but if not, that's no loss.  The evidence section of each part of the portfolio is the foundation for all the writing for that part, and so getting this done makes the rest possible.  And having thought it through is the basis for all the writing.  It flows pretty easily from there. So here I go.  The lab is quiet (so far today) and I've accomplished several tasks and am ready to kick back, grab my popcorn (yes, really!), pencil and paper, and take more notes to finalize my choice.  


No comments: