Thursday, January 20, 2011

For my friends - Psalm 73 (sort of)

I offer my dear friends Reyna and Caroline this “version” of Psalm 73 as an encouragement. (Slightly altered in a several places – please forgive the potential heresy, and also please note for context that the Bible says we’re all wicked in god’s eyes, so this is not an indictment on our friends or otherwise who are clueless about diabetes – salvation is available to all, Rom 5:8 WHILE we were yet sinners, Christ died for us . . . Acts 16:31 Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved…)

[Most of the text of the Psalm I did leave well enough alone… ]


This is the heart I often have and struggle with before the Lord. Honestly, it’s not a pretty thing how I feel – and when I’m honest, I often feel alone, discouraged, as though everyone and everything is against me, even my friends and family. This is not true but it feels it. I have to counter it with the truths of Scripture, and I find such comfort and hope in knowing my dear Father in heaven. There is no one Bible verse that says it all, but there are so many passages, so many themes, that work together in my heart to encourage me. This is but a “taste” but hopefully a helpful one. He sometimes feels far away, but Psalm 139 speaks of God’s closeness, and his knowledge and his purposeful creation of me and of each of my kids (and you!). Job speaks of the need to depend on Him, even when we don’t understand (esp. 1:20-21 – Blessed be the name of the Lord!). James speaks of trials bringing fruit (1:2 esp) as do many others.

But still, I struggle and this Psalm is one of those which I pray and speak out and see myself in from beginning to end and come back to every single time. So here I am, and I will pray it for you as well.

Psalm 73 – for the most part

1 Surely God is good to us moms, to those who wish to be pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold again.
3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked, of those who defy you.
4 They have no struggles;their bodies are healthy and strong. They aren’t even grateful for it.
5 They think they are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills, and certainly not diabetes.
6 Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence, ignorance and superiority.
7 From their callous hearts comes iniquity; their evil imaginations have no limits.
8 They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression and thwart our efforts to care for our kids.
9 Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth. They claim to know our kids needs better than we do.
10 Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance.
11 They say, “How would God know? Does the Most High know anything?”
12 This is what the wicked are like— always free of care, they go on amassing wealth and a good reputation in the world.
13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence. My best efforts are worth nothing.
14 All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments.
15 If I had spoken out like that, I would have betrayed your children.
16 When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
18 Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin.
19 How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!
20 They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.
21 When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

1 comment:

Shiloh said...

Clarification is needed I think. :-) I worried at least one family member!

Mostly my affection for this Psalm comes from my love for my god who knows my weaknesses, my foolishness, and my lack of perspective. I often struggle with a 'grass is greener on the other side of the fence' mentality - whether it be about circumstances, people, things, or simply not understanding who god is. I wonder what he's up to, I throw temper tantrums (to him usually - the grown up variety but inside it's still kicking and screaming and rolling on the floor beating my fists and I know god sees it esp. since I'm talking to him about it!) b/c I don't get it, or I don't get my way, or I am offended or whatever.

This Psalm talks of losing ones foothold, slipping, being a senseless beast and the like and it resolves in "Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee I desire nothing on earth." I love it. He knows me! When all else fails, when my temper tantrum is over, when my fatigue gets the best of me, when I cry out to him for help, and even when I don't, He is there. He is my rock, and He is everything that matters. He bandages up my hurts, he comforts my emotions and straightens out my lopsided perspective. He takes care of justice so I don't need to and I can trust him that evil will not be rewarded in the end (I can get bent out of shape about these things). The good guy will indeed win. He reassures me that I am never alone nor forgotten nor left behind (stuff that terrifies me even more than the bad guy winning). He helps me differentiate between truth and fiction, reality and fantasy. And he enfolds me in His love. To me, this Psalm isn't about everybody else, or even anybody else. It's about me and my very big, holy and perfect god, in whom I trust and to whom I've given everything - not that I have anything worthwhile to give (I don't), but whatever I have is his and may he be praised forever, whether I get it or not.