Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The tongues of angels

I was "new" a lot as a kid. We moved around. Maybe it was the timing of things but it felt like we were always moving and I was always adjusting and figuring things out. So I have a certain radar for "new kids" and for wanting people to feel welcome in a new place. Yesterday, Patience came home and told me there was a new girl at school. She was very descriptive of her and was very intrigued. You see, the new girl speaks little to no English. Frankly, Patience came home asking me a question as an introduction to her conversation; "Mom, do you know any German?" Well, I do know a little (but it's been 20 years), and so I wrote a note to the new girl in very broken German, hoping to encourage her and as a way to reach out and welcome her and her family to our community. Patience came home today to tell me I made the girl giggle and smile and elicited a "thank you" as well.

You see, the Lord tells us to treat others as we'd like to be treated. This is how I always wanted to be treated when I was new, especially when I was in a 'strange' land (try moving to NY City w/a Southern drawl in elementary school - oh yes, and with glasses and being way too smart for your own good - talk about culture shock and ridicule). May the gift he's given me with the tongues of men be used for his glory, and may I someday be able to share things of much greater priority and substance with this girl and her family, in whatever tongue he sees fit.

3 comments:

Shiloh said...

I got a note from the girl's mom on Friday (in German - I understood about half and resorted to an online dictionary for the rest). It sounded like she too appreciated my note and likewise hopes we can get together. I hear via the grapevine that Patience has taken the girl under her wing she and her friends are helping her learn the ropes. What a delight to hear!

Unknown said...

WOW...of course Patience has taken her under her wing. Patience is a lovely human being...so caring and nurturing of all that she comes in contact with.

You are all wonderful...the EJ is a fortunate community to have you residing in it. You are one of the many reasons I love calling this place "home".

Shiloh said...

You're so sweet Reyna. Sorry we haven't gotten together yet. Soon! :-)