My German stinks. I'm not even going to try to say that auf Deutsch. It's better than nothing, I suppose, but I feel completely inept. I understand very little spoken, I can't remember any words when I try to speak, and real life doesn't happen in writing. My problem is I once knew it "OK" (conversantly in any case) and the "structure" is still intact in my brain, but I lack vocabulary - it's all gone. I recognize tons when I see or hear it, but can generate little to none from memory (20 years is a very long time). With a dictionary and time, I can do quite a bit, and understand most if not all. But who walks around with a dictionary in their pocket and tons of time to figure out each and every simple phrase or question?
All that to say, I'm delighted to meet this new family from Germany. Our children (they have two) get along well and have come over a couple times. Mom and I seem to be able to converse adequately. We get by. It's fun. I will be volunteering with the daughter in school a couple times a week in Language Arts class; today was my first day.
But in the meantime, I don't think that German is a strength of mine. Hopefully I will learn a lot and be of assistance to them in due course. Either way, we have definitely become friends, and that is a good thing in and of itself.
1 comment:
You are a good friend to all that you come into contact with! Good to talk to you yesterday.
Post a Comment