I am learning how to teach "giving" to my kids. Not just at Christmas, but for birthdays, and at school, and on the sidewalk, and so on and so forth.
And giving has everything to do with serving, and my God who gave His one and only son Jesus to die in my place. Period.
In any case, while there is much more that I can say on this subject, and maybe I will at some point, I just read two articles that were thought provoking. I think each brings interesting perspective to this "giving" season. And yes, there is too much "stuff", too much "commercialism" and too much "materialism." Oh yes.
BUT (and this is a big and important but)
God gave extravagantly.
There is a time and place for "extravagance". It reflects his abundant (over abundant and undeserved) favor, blessing, generosity, and love.May all my "abundance" at this season be a reflection of His abundant gift(s) to and for me, that it may give HIM glory, not just today, but every day, throughout my life and that of those around me.
So happy reading:
Please note too that this is all my own humble opinion - and those of you who do things differently are in no way in the "wrong" nor am I "right" not by any stretch of the imagination. There are so many ways to "do" Christmas, and to "give" to our kids and so on and so forth. This is just an explanation (if anyone was looking for one) of why we give a lot when we can. We can be a bit over the top. Honestly. And we know it. And we love to give gifts. Period. Me even more than the hubby, but he does get a bit carried away w/Christmas (even more than me!) And we give not only now but throughout the year. (Kind of different from one article anyway.... but still what she says is interesting). But that is yet a topic for another blog another time.
1 comment:
I am a horrible gift giver. I wish I could be better at it. I do enjoy giving, though. I usually "give" with my time and with favors. I give "real" gifts to my children and their friends...and a friend here and there, but I don't have a lot of "real" gift giving confidence. I feel I kind of suck at picking out a good gift if that makes any sense.
You and your children are a gift to The Mahers...P.S. Bridget would love to have her buddy over soon. And I would like to catch up with you...I'll email...instead of hogging up comment space - LOL.
Post a Comment