We came back from Switzerland with souvenirs, books, and chocolate! This pile of goodies took up at least a suitcase (or two), and would you believe over half of it is gone as gifts already? Wow, and what fun. Let me list some of the fun stuff (some of you are detail people and will be interested or at least amused so here goes.) Lucky Luke cartoon book, 3 Tintin books, two French bibles, six "Jesus Raconte" - that's the "Jesus Storybook Bible" in French, five scarves (two each for Patience and I, one for Constance), earrings (one pair each for Patience and I), play Swiss francs, play Euros, herbes de provences, knitting needles, playing cards, notepads, postcards, pastry cream (powdered), nougat candy, chocolate bars, chocolate balls, chocolate boxes, chocolate coins, marzipan, mustard, coffee mugs, pencils, "I spy" book in French, candy taffys, maps, tea, cowbells, umbrella, hard candies, vanilla sugar packets, smarties (like M&Ms), stuffed St. Bernard dogs, and chestnut cream/paste.
Regarding the herbes de provences (my favorite spice for cooking - I use it in everything from my potato soup to my chicken bbq to my baked sausage and egg casserole) - I spend about $6 per jar here (17g), and I can't get it at my usual grocery store so I have to make a special trip. I got lucky last year and bought a whole bunch when the spices were 1/2 off (that's why everyone got it for Christmas - I really love this stuff!). Anyway, I spent $2 per package in France - that's $2 for 100g - I saved over $25 per jar! And I have enough to last a year. I'm totally excited about that. :-) Nothing like "grocery shopping" abroad!
We have hung on to some chocolate for us especially to share with family and friends over the holidays that so fill this time of year, but much of it went to friends and classmates and to thank all those who helped make this trip possible, either before leaving, or while we were gone. It's amazing how much we can bring back and yet how little it feels like we have to give everyone (it only stretches so far!). Thank you to EVERYONE who prayed or who helped watch or transport kids and so much more. I wish we could multiply the chocolate the way you multiplied your love and help and support for us!
Regarding the herbes de provences (my favorite spice for cooking - I use it in everything from my potato soup to my chicken bbq to my baked sausage and egg casserole) - I spend about $6 per jar here (17g), and I can't get it at my usual grocery store so I have to make a special trip. I got lucky last year and bought a whole bunch when the spices were 1/2 off (that's why everyone got it for Christmas - I really love this stuff!). Anyway, I spent $2 per package in France - that's $2 for 100g - I saved over $25 per jar! And I have enough to last a year. I'm totally excited about that. :-) Nothing like "grocery shopping" abroad!
We have hung on to some chocolate for us especially to share with family and friends over the holidays that so fill this time of year, but much of it went to friends and classmates and to thank all those who helped make this trip possible, either before leaving, or while we were gone. It's amazing how much we can bring back and yet how little it feels like we have to give everyone (it only stretches so far!). Thank you to EVERYONE who prayed or who helped watch or transport kids and so much more. I wish we could multiply the chocolate the way you multiplied your love and help and support for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment