I went back to school this year too - in a way. I began subbing last week. First I had to submit the application, which involved writing a resume of sorts. And I had to find appropriate references. That took a couple weeks. Once I completed all those requirements and submitted the application, it took a week or two for processing and then, once approved, I had to complete quite a bit of training (required reading and video training on legal issues, inclusive classrooms, harassment, child abuse, and much more). That took me another week and then I completed paperwork and was hired.
I took a subbing job the very next day, which was one week ago. It was a half day position in 4/5th grade. It went quite well. And then I took another one the next day for the 3rd grade classroom next door to Vivace's class. I loved that day. I could have kept going and subbed either at the middle or high school the next day, for teachers I know and would love to sub for (and it'd be my 3rd school in as many days) but I really needed to be home. So I took a middle school subbing job for this past Monday, and I have lined up a job for the high school this Friday; four schools in 8 days, all desirable positions. So far it's been a great experience; I love teaching. I have been comfortable with the kids and in my element, especially the middle school job. I get to do that one again next week for the same teacher.
It's fun to be back at school, teaching, and my kids seem happy to have me there. We all think it will be a good fit for the family to have me subbing, and so we're working to settle into school in a new way this fall, with five of us in the system, to some degree or another.
No comments:
Post a Comment