Well, we're doing our fourth and final boiling today. I just emptied the cooler and put it up in the bathtub to wash out a little later. The propane is holding out and the pots are full. Yesterday, I pulled the taps (two) out of the smaller tree that wasn't dripping as much. I'm still collecting in the big tree and probably will collect through today, possibly into tomorrow depending on where the boiling is at this afternoon.
The last couple times I've boiled, I've spread it over two days. The first time, it was out of necessity; I just couldn't finish. As it turned out, we were able to finish it off in the presence of my in-laws, which was pretty special (to me anyway) that they got to see how each stage worked, in person, even if not intentionally. The second time, it was by choice, and I put the smaller (6 qt) pot in the fridge overnight because I just didn't want to stay up late to finish it off; I wanted to relax with my beloved watching a TV show and get to bed at a good time. Finishing it the next day went great, and allowed me to add in a couple more gallons of sap first before finishing it off fairly easily with the kids around to watch and help and around my schedule.
So today, the goal is to get it to a manageable (and refrigeratable) level by bedtime, w/o being a slave to it. I doubt I'll finish it off, hence why I'll leave the taps in a little longer. I can handle an extra couple gallons tomorrow if need be.
All in all, we have made, in the three boilings so far, a gallon of syrup. This last boil of 12+ gallons will easily bring that to at least 5 quarts. That's a fantastic amount and it feels wonderful to have made our own. I think I've enjoyed sharing the process with any and everyone interested at least as much as I've enjoyed actually making and tasting it. If you're reading this and have encouraged us, or stopped by to check it all out, please know that it means a lot and has helped make this a uniquely special and memorable project! We have thoroughly enjoyed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment