It is just AMAZING to drill holes in your own trees (we did have to buy a drill bit the proper size, $15 for the whole set), stick some spouts in (roughly $2 each - we got 6 and are using 4 at the moment), wash out a bunch of milk jugs (free), cut a hole in them (free unless you cut yourself in which case you'd incur the cost of a bandaid - fortunately I didn't though it came close), and wash out the large cooler to pour it all into (our collection tank) and eventually boil it down (I guess there will be some cost there - how to compute it? not sure.... going to try the old indian method of skimming off the ice in the mornings first to cut down the boiling time - that again is free). And as a result of this, we'll get our own, home-tapped maple syrup. Really, it is amazing. I can't believe we've lived here 10 years (in this house) with these two sugar maples and I'm just now finally trying this out. Too much fun.
Probably what's coolest to me in all of it is that it is part of the amazing and intricate design of God's creation. A friend posted this verse from Psalm 103 the same day we tapped our trees.
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
3 comments:
I just informed one of my co-workers as to what your latest project is and she said to warn you. the 'boiling' process can be so steam building that it has been know to peal off the wallpaper in some homes. Just thought I would let you know. I suppose we will have to the the "guinea pigs" this weekend as you promised not to "kill" the neighbors. :-).
Love, mom
I just informed one of my co-workers as to what your latest project is and she said to warn you. the 'boiling' process can be so steam building that it has been know to peal off the wallpaper in some homes. Just thought I would let you know. I suppose we will have to the the "guinea pigs" this weekend as you promised not to "kill" the neighbors. :-).
Love, mom
Yes, the steam is a known issue (40:1 ratio - that is 40 gallons of water to 1 gallon of syrup). You don't want that equivalent in your house, even if you're talking "only" 9 gallons for 1 quart, vs. 39 for a gallon. Hence the borrowing of a propane stove to work outside (or purchasing charcoal and/or wood to try the fire pit - tho' we've opted for propane at the moment).
Post a Comment