Sunday, October 23, 2011

...and a funeral

Yesterday I commented on the "Three weddings..." Today it's just a brief note to add "... and a funeral". Sounds like a movie title. But that's the past four weeks in a nutshell: three weddings and a funeral. I couldn't go to the funeral. But four weeks ago - is it possible it's been so long? - my host mom died. I wish I could have found time today to call Switzerland again. I've called a couple times. It's not easy with the time difference, and it's sometimes hard to know what to say. But I miss Lucette and I am mindful of the grief of my host family. I always will miss her. I imagine it will get easier of course when I do think of her. I still think of her almost daily. I am noticing already that now that she isn't there to call, to write to, to buy little gifts or postcards for, I don't think of her quite as often as I did when she was still alive. That in and of itself is taking getting used to. I wish I did think of her as often as when she was alive. I think my mom would say this is part of the grieving process - the letting go. I expect she'll write on this blog to say "amen". (Thanks mom).

1 comment:

Mom said...

Perhaps this is the greatest meaning of "The spirit lives on."

Seems so naturaland good:-)

amen

Mom