Saturday, November 20, 2010

Flying with Diabetes...

...is a pain. Poor Patience got frisked - thoroughly - and every lick stick of her person and stuff was searched, tested literally for explosives and so on and so forth. Mama Bear felt like a Mama Bear: protective. It was very hard for me. The airport folks were nice, but it was nevertheless difficult. I understand that there are crazy people out there and airport security is necessary, but "we" are the ones who pay for it - that is the innocent people. I guess it's all part of learning to be "like Christ" and suffering what he suffered etc, but I DO NOT feel like I'm suffering for the cross; I feel like I'm suffering for stupid reasons that don't relate to the gospel at all.

And we had lots of "extra" stuff to carry just because of the diabetes. Nevermind the non-diabetes stuff we took along. Even if all of that had gotten checked, we still would have had heavy stuff to carry through airports, to and fro, up and down stairs (yes, stairs), ramps, etc and so forth. God gave us plenty of grace, and tons of time by ensuring early arrivals at each of our stopovers (37 full minutes early into Amsterdam!) but add to that airsickness on the landing into JFK (turbulence - lots of it), the need to regroup and of course check glucose levels, drink juice etc and so forth, fatigue, and an additional frisking (much less invasive) in Amsterdam, and finally we arrived. Yay. I can't tell you how glad we were to arrive. But again, it all went smoothly - minus a few knitting needles in Amsterdam. Oh well. Happy landing, happy people, we're more or less over jet lag and enjoying those we came to see. And so far the bread and the insulin seem to be friendly enough and staying in balance. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to know you made it! Have fun!