Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thanks . . .

. . . to the two of you who told me you read this! :-) How encouraging to know I'm not just writing into thin air.

Here in VT, summer is as short as the winter is long. And boy is the summer pleasant and wonderful. (NB I do enjoy winter but the fact that we do have four seasons is a lot of that!)

Well, I bring this up because now that the late April snow (yup - did I forget to mention that?) and the Mother's Day snowflakes, and the killing frosts are behind us (well, more than likely behind us), summer has arrived. I finally found my shorts Friday afternoon (several days into the 80+ degree weather) and I even wore them. I got sunburned sitting outside at a baseball game on Saturday afternoon (and I was doing all I could to be in the shade! It was HOT.) The house has heated up and we finally got the storm windows in the storm doors switched over to the screens (either Friday or Saturday - whenever it was we needed it!)

We need to enjoy the summer days even though school's not out, just in case it's a cold and wet one like last year . So we cooked hot dogs outside over the firepit (on sticks of course) one evening in the backyard (marshmallows too). We've had corn on the cob a few times (even though it's obviously imported). Tonight we had homemade potato salad and watermelon. And we're loving the breeze. :-) The garden is coming along but not quite in (we held off a bit due to the snow...!) Hopefully that'll be planted in the next day or two, still before the May 31st frost-date. Yay!

No comments: