Friday, June 30, 2017

Do you love me?

It's been a whirlwind of a year.  I am struggling to process the simple fact that six months of 2017 are already behind me.  Literally, I do not know where the time went.  That said, the two weeks since school got out have been heavenly.  I have so needed to be home.  Unfortunately, there is much still to be done for this to be deemed a "successful" summer.

One of the things I need to make time for is my children, especially Constance.  Last night, she curled up next to me on the couch, and essentially told me she wants me to spend more time with her and to stop thinking about my students and classroom.  She's jealous - quite literally - for my attention.  When I ask her for her thoughts on classroom arrangement etc, instead of feeling included and that her opinion is valued, she seems to feel threatened, as though I could possibly care more for them than her.  While this is not at all the case, I need to recognize her need, which is very real and very appropriate. She is still young, and wants to know she is cherished and important enough that I will think about and spend time with her.  I remain thankful that she takes the time to speak to me that I may know her concerns and her heart.  May God grant me wisdom as I interact with her this summer and may she be reassured of my love and affection in ways she can understand and feel.

No comments: