Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Repetitiveness and Polishing

When I teach my kids how to write, we look at grammar, spelling, organization and much more.  When we get to the editing and fine tuning process, we start to look for the polish and redundancy and that sort of thing.

I am apologizing here and now regarding my blog.  Yes, I do take time (sometimes quite a bit of time) to review before I post.  But I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things.  I can agonize over word choice, appropriateness of my content, and even whether or not to post.  For months, I found myself stymied - wanting to post but not feeling I had anything to say.  It would kind of be like constantly writing about the weather.  Honestly, that's not what's on my heart and mind - unless I'm soaked or the homes of folks I know are being flooded repetitively - but even then, what exactly does one say about that which anyone else would like to hear?  And besides, I have facebook for some of that daily "drivel"...  and I really won't bore you with that, either repeating it or "including you" in that (and putting you to sleep probably).

So to get back to my point, the bottom line of THIS post is me apologizing for my blog being fraught with errors and disorganization.  Because I want to have a blog that keeps family and friends up to date on our lives, complete with pictures, I cannot be too much of a perfectionist, or you'll get nothing but silence.  And silence can be on the "bad" side.  This is especially those of you who are NOT on facebook (and who are therefore spared my postings in that arena, which believe me are plentiful - too much so I think but again, I digress...).  I think those of you who are on FB (my mom and sister especially) know well that we are alive and kicking and have a million things going on which occupy our thoughts and attention. And you are in the know much of the time (for better or for worse).  I think we stay somewhat connected thru our various postings there on FB - which is of course the point of that.  But those of you who aren't (my dear in-laws in particular)... well, between not posting here and not using the phone (sorry for that too...) weeks can pass and we forget you have no idea what's going on - because we've been posting on FB as we go.  Or the emails have gone to one or two people, but not to everyone. You get the idea.

Thus, this blog will be imperfect so that I can succeed in its purpose of staying connected with some of the every day things as well as some of our crazy "thinking" etc, especially with my extended family, but also the rest of you we know and love and who may be far away and whom we see infrequently - if ever.  I do occasionally catch spelling errors or go back and reword a sentence here and there because it really annoys me... but I am trying to let things go without them having to be perfect.  If you reread my recent post about Andante and his summer, I repeat myself horribly.  I say alternative twice in a sentence, along with "different" and who knows what else.  It's a terrible sentence.  I could rewrite it easily in the time it took me to write this post, but I am determined to practice the art of letting it be and allowing "imperfection"  to remain. Because sometimes that is better, and this is one of those times and occasions.

But for those of you who are particular (like me... sigh), I am very sorry.  Thanks for understanding.

No comments: