Thursday, January 5, 2012

Leading up to the big day

The rest of December - that is the part leading up to Christmas - was full of many fun activities.



Thursday home school group ice skating with Vivace (he and I bought ourselves some hockey sticks and a puck for just $16! Cool!)....







Decorating the tree....















Attaining teenage status . . . .


(Happy 13th Patience! Sorry you had a headache.)










Music, music, and more music: Patience had her evening winter concert where she played the viola with the orchestra, sang with the chorus, and played handbells to boot.



She also played in the youth orchestra for special Christmas music at church, she performed during school with all three of the afore-mentioned groups plus piano with the jazz band, and went on an all-day field trip to perform with the handbells at several area nursing homes.




That last one was not something we'd planned ahead of time and it was a full day of activity, but was very enjoyable for both her and I, especially because it was actually her birthday and I got to spend it with her! We had fun and they sounded lovely.





Grandma arrived the 17th and stayed for almost a week right near us before heading up to Stowe. She treated us all (Merry Christmas!) to a delightful performance of the Nutcracker, and she was able to hear Patience's beautiful music as well. This was wonderful, and I don't know how I could have balanced all our regular or extra holiday activities with school etc without her help. Thanks mom!

We enjoyed ice skating all together with Emily's class the last day of school before vacation and then helped Grandma grocery shop and move up to Stowe.






The younger kids and I stayed there for two days before heading home on Christmas Eve, and it was wonderful to relax together there after the busyness of the week. Naturally, she brought snow with her and it was lovely to play in it together. Andante and I even got in a great ski together in the fresh snow (cross-country) before heading back down to the all but snowless valley floor for Christmas.




No comments: