As the summer winds down, we remain plenty active, indoors and out-of-doors.
Vivace got to go to his first official "Awana Cook-out". He had a great time playing in the creek, doing the zip-line many times (even standing up!) , roasting marshmallows and making s'mores over the bonfire, and much more. It is strange to think he's old enough to be a Sparkie, but seeing as he adds tons of spark to our rather dull lives, it will be a great fit for him.
Andante really enjoyed swim lessons this summer and took them three times (thank you Papa Bear!). He worked his way through level 5 in the first two full-length classes (one in June, the 2nd in August), and in the short 5-day session last week, he knocked on the door of mastering level 6 as well. Truly I must say he is a delight to watch swim; his little body is developing some real muscles and his strokes are really improving, so watching him do laps is actually quite enjoyable (I know, I am really easily entertained). Patience and I were both admiring his strength and speed a couple days ago.
I delight to see my slow, steady child developing some real interest in things - like Harry Potter books, swimming, and baseball. He's always been so non-commital and rather uncertain about what he likes. This pursuit of swimming speaks volumes to me about his growing maturity. We're hoping he will be able to join the village swim team next summer and that it will help refine his technique. Stay tuned for more info next summer!
Speaking of Harry Potter, Dante is almost done with book 6. I am requiring him to read each book twice before getting the next book. He is reading a lot this past week, hoping to get thru it at least once before school begins. He says it's his favorite! All of the kids have read a lot this summer and I actually got a cool picture of each of them reading in their own spot one recent afternoon - it was after the fact that I realized even Dante was in the photo!
Picnics are a staple of our summer, especially at the park before or after swimming or playing. Here we are with our cousins who visited for a week earlier in August. We had a nice time with them and are so glad they no longer live 2000 miles away (now we can see them more often!).
Swimming, playing, and reading pretty much sum up what we do all summer. Better go do some more while we still have time before school starts!
1 comment:
I LOVE it!
Super summary post and pictures, and a great one of the six pixies.
G-ma
Post a Comment