Friday, September 10, 2010

Transitions . . . smooth . . . BUT

I am SOOOOO glad it's Friday and this week is largely behind us. People ask us (small talk) how it's going, all this adjustment and transition. I say it's going fine. Smoothly enough. But ... and that's it. There's always a "but". Smoothly, but. For example, the kids are tired. So, smoothly, but they're tired. To the point of tears at times. Grumpiness most of the time. Attitude too esp. from my pre-teen. That's tiring me out all by itself.

The new nurse/diabetes/school scenario for Patience is smooth . . . . at least insofar as the middle school part goes, and learning the ropes. But...

See what I mean? BUT she's been in tears about the transition nurse-wise. It's not that we don't like the new nurse, nor is it that the new nurse is doing anything wrong; frankly she's very nice and also thorough, which is good. She seems to be listening well too. All this is good. But she's new and she too is learning the ropes and also getting to know us. So I really don't want to tell this new nurse who's still learning that her very "newness" is difficult for Patience, that her thoroughness is making Patience feel babied, and that we're chafing a bit at the parameters - which there is time to figure out as we all adjust to the new digs. So will I tell the new nurse about the tears? The emotions? The difficulty? No, probably not, because it would not help with the transition, and there's really no point. Smooth, BUT. Things really ARE going smoothly, but they aren't going as they eventually will, not yet, and there's time to figure that out and problem solve, etc. In the meantime, it's just hard.

BUT we know that God is good and he's using all this in my life (our lives?) for our good, and smoothly may not really be what's best in the long run.

The whole transition this year is new. And we have had a lot of "open houses" and "kick-offs" and "firsts". I had four things (big ones) yesterday, two at the same time, none could really be neglected. And I was not ready for most of them until the last minute. It's a challenge this beginning of the year, at least this year, and I'm glad to be through the week, with the laundry more or less caught up (more or less - there is a dried load to be folded from this morning, but the 6 loads of clean laundry that hadn't been folded from before today is taken care of. And we had a real (vs. scraped together) meal for dinner to boot.

No comments: