Monday, June 14, 2010

One and a half more days

That's how long it is until school is out for the summer.

I can't wait.

And I find it hard to understand why so many don't feel that way.

The kids really need down time. They need time to just be at home with nothing to do, no plans, nowhere to go, no one to see, etc. "Boredom" is a necessary part of a kid's life! (And then they learn to find things to do).

Granted, we'll have plenty to do. But I won't be entertaining them.

I'm also eager for the summer because it's a break for me. When they're not running around with school-imposed deadlines, activities, projects and the like, neither am I! When they go to the pool, so do I! When they go to the park, so do I! When we go on forays to the waterfront or for ice cream, or bike rides, I too get to enjoy them, or enjoy being home alone. It's fun. I get tired of all the running around and I too need some down time.

Summer is when the schedule is OURS versus someone else's.
Summer is when WE set the goals and work for them.
Summer is when we can evaluate our needs and actually try to meet them without having to work around someone else's plans to the same degree.

So what are you looking forward to this summer?

Me, I'm going to teach them French, how to fold laundry, how to cook, and how to put stuff away. Sounds like a lot, I know, but I hope to make it fun. I'm also planning to play games with them - lots of games. Board games, card games, Wii games, and the like. And bike ride, and pick berries, and make jam, and sell lots of lemonade together. I want to make time to read - to them and with them and by myself. And of course, we'll do some trips but no major ones. I'm really just looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the kids. Lots of that. Gotta recharge before . . . . but that's getting ahead of myself. It's not even vacation yet. I'm not going to think about what's next before we even get there.

Just one and a half more days.... :-) And they'll fly by 'cause there's plenty to do to get ready!

No comments: