Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ice is hard

I'm taking skating lessons this fall. One minute before my very first lesson was up, my feet slid out from under me and I fell my full height, straight backwards, onto the ice.

Ice is hard.

It hurt.

They tell me my head made a VERY loud crack you could hear clear across the rink when it hit, no mistake.

I am very thankful I have just a mild concussion with very few symptoms. After the major concussion I had two and a half years ago, I know how bad it could have been, and am very thankful God spared me the nausea, dizziness etc. I am completely functional (tho' tired and slow!). And I'm excited to get back on the ice when I'm ready.

All four kids, even my preteen, have just one thing to say. It's unanimous: "Mom, you should have been wearing a helmet!"

Next time I will. Did I mention ice is really (really) hard?!

2 comments:

G-Ma said...

Dearest "Kids,"

If a warning was necessary, this was a good one. After you are 21 years old, ask me what your Mom did with her bicycle helmet 30 years ago.


God was watching your Mom,

G-ma/URL

Shiloh said...

Skated again (several days ago). I lasted about 20 minutes and was happy to get off the ice in one piece. Any daring I might have had the week prior was completely gone and I was exhausted but I'm "back on the horse" and it should feel more normal again the next time.